Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The Italy Dream Continues

So I'm talking to one of our corporate lawyers today about random things (he's in charge of our document retention program, so 90% of our conversation by necessity has to morph into other things just to Retain Our Sanity)... and he has family in Italy, so we naturally started talking about restaurants in Rome that I *must* try. I'm totally game.
My dream.. my goal is to live in Italy some day. I love Italy -and I will live in Rome. I want a little flat close to the Spanish Steps and I want to lead English-speaking tours of the antiquity sites. I want to make enough money for food - I hope to save and invest enough money now to buy the flat and maybe fly home once a year.
Anyway... the working-in-Italy sites are pretty serious. It's not so easy just landing in Rome and getting a job. Whatever. I will do it. Unless I get a better offer, of course. But this year I will learn Italian. Getting the lawyer from Doc Retention to teach me the right pronunciation of Trastevere. (I used to say TRAS TEV ER E but it's really TRAS TE VER E - significant diff!)

I love walking the streets of Rome and getting lost in the maze and finding a store-front restaurant where you can have a 3 course meal for $25. With a caraffe of wine, too.
And I love the wine. You can order "vino rosa" by the glass at an outdoor table by the Piazza Navona for $4 and sit forever, watching the drama of life and, if you're lucky, chatting about it with someone next to you that doesn't need the backstory of what you're talking about (i.e. "Check it out - she is so Kelly." or "Did you know that the fountain has only one drain? It's in the fish's mouth - at the foot of Poisedan... oh wait, I already told you that."

So I'm thinking that I need to go back to Rome for a little visit. Just a week. Or so. Maybe 10 days.

But before Dad moves back to the Philippines (where he spent 2.25 years as a Peace Corps Volunteer), maybe I should visit Isreal with him. I've never been - he's never been - so maybe we should go and be agnostic together. I would love to see the sites from the Bible... I think anyone with a religious background and appreciation for the cultural history would like that.

I know I would.

So two weeks in Isreal in the fall! Yay! Travel plans resolved. For now. Before I move to Rome.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:23 AM

    For those of you planning a trip to Rome, Italy, I recommend you to find your lodging in the Trastevere area wich is the most enjoyable neighbourhood, and very close to every attraction (you might have a little walk and go even on foot in maybe 10 minutes to the Spanish Steps, Colosseum, etc.
    You can find some great apartments on this site
    http://www.feelhomeinrome.com
    wich features also guest reviews and nice pics of the area. Hope this will be useful to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make sure to tell everyone in Israel that you are the last sign of the Apocolypse, and to get the hell out of your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:53 AM

    yeah, yeah. get the hell out of the way!

    hah!

    with that part of the world going to hell, you should go to Italy. check out CappaRezza before you go - my current favorite musical artist. Italian rap, yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:15 AM

    I would advice to stay away from the website www.feelhominrome.com. They apply hidden charges and work with a dodge taxi company. They charged me more than double the official fare from the airport and the taxi for the return journye didn't even turn up. And the guest reviews I saw at the apartment I stayed at where clearly made up. There are plenty of better agencies. Just google it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Official answer by www.feelhomeinrome.com:

    We are probably the only rome apartment booking website with no hidden charges. We invite you to have a look again as we are continuously working on it to enhance usability.
    Regarding the price of the taxi, the price is not at all the double of the official fare but is obviously a little higher, being a door to door service.

    ReplyDelete