Friday, November 25, 2005

Road to Hell...

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Lawyers would tell you the road was paved with malicious interlopers, but that' s a little harsh, I think.
Once in a while I'm overcome with a desire to be helpful. Like holding the door for a person loaded down with packages, or giving directions to someone, or (like now), helping a customer who has wandered onto the media relations hotline.
The hotline (manned 24/7) gets a couple of random calls every once in a while, but when it's a customer, I like to get their name + number, and a brief description on what they need. Then I call someone who can help.
Now, whenever I get the urge to help like this, I usually remember how these things normally turn out. (i.e. - I hold the door for one person and eight more take advantage without so much as a "thank you" thrown my way; or else I realize the directions I've given someone were totally wrong, and the guilt wakes me up at 3 a.m.; or, like today, I try to make it right by our customer only I make it worse by not knowing how to transfer a call correctly.)
Oy.
Road to hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment