Saturday, October 11, 2008

totally european...

I've decided against a 2-burner cooktop, and I'm going with an induction system instead. There are portable induction hotplates available (I purchased one at PC Richards for $99) that you can put away when not in use, leaving the valuable counterspace open.
The problem with a 2-burner cooktop is that I would have to place it on top of the under-counter refrigerator, and would have to raise the burners 3-4 inches above the countertop in order to separate the heating elements from the fridge. And I have to place the burners 4 inches (minimum) away from the wall, which would place it square in the middle of the only open space, effectively cutting in half the open countertop space. Yuck.
The place is still wired for gas, so any future owners could opt to reinstall a gas oven/cooktop.
I've been reading up on induction systems and it doesn't look too bad.
And from what the dude at PC Richards told me, induction is "very European." (And if I lived in Europe I would fit right in... but is New York ready for induction?)

1 comment:

  1. wow, I've never heard of induction cooking on a counter top. it looks incredible - post an update after you try it out for the first time!

    ReplyDelete