Wednesday, June 24, 2009

We're not open yet

Story:
Dateline: My apartment, last Saturday.
Cleaning like a madwoman, and I had to take my laundry in because I was on travel most of the following week. Lugged 30 pounds of laundry - OY! - down the 4 flights of stairs and saw that the sketchy laundromat across the street was open. Rather than walking ALL THE WAY OVER to Ninth Ave (all of 25 feet), I thought, "Screw it." and walked in to Sketchy Laundry and dumped the bag on the floor.
Before I could even really understand what was happening, the Chinese lady had swiped my credit card ($27.70 in case you're wondering). That's when things got interesting:
Me: "Uhm... So I can pick this up tomorrow around noon?"
Her: "WHA? No no no we naht ope~ yet."
Me: "Ok - well that's not going to work. I'll have to take it to the laundry on Ninth."
Her: "But you already pay! Credit card slip already!"
Me: "I'll take cash back."
Her: "Already rung! Already pay! You pick up on Monday."
Me: "No no no - that's not going to work."
Three people walk in to the laundry to pick up their clothes. I tell her to wait on them - I'll wait until they're served. The whole time she's getting their clothes, she's yelling at me:
"Sunday! We're naht open yet!"until finally, as the last person is being served, I turn into George Costanza:
Me: "YES. GOT IT. MY BAD. MY FAULT. Just give me my money back." at which point the other customer looks at me (in my I've-been-cleaning-and-I'm-kind-of-a-mess look) and high tails it outta there.
So now it's just her and me again. She calls the owner.
And this is what it sounded like. Enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment